Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Succulent Planter



I have been dreaming of putting together a succulent planter since forever. 
Then I saw this beauty put together by my friend Chelsea and it made me want one even more. I've been searching for the perfect planter and finally found one at Home Goods. I rounded up my succulents from J&J Garden and Smith's Marketplace Garden Center. 
Then all of it sat and sat for about a month. And THEN I finally put nap time to good use yesterday and planted it along with some flower pots for my in-laws.
There is something about succulents that just makes me happy. 





Here's a simple materials list and how to if you'd like to try your hand at making one yourself.
It's definitely much more cost effective to make your own. Between the succulents, the planter, and the soil ingredients, I spent about $60-70 dollars. To buy this retail would cost you over $100. 
So it's definitely worth it to get your hands dirty and DIY. 

Here's what you need...

1) - Large shallow bowl or planter w/ drainage hole 
2) - Succulents 
 the number depends on the size of your planter. Your succulents will grow in a bit, so allow for a little room as they get bigger and don't cram them in too tight. Think about color, shape, and height as well. Give your planter some variety. 
3) - Potting mix. 
You can buy regular potting mix or cactus potting mix. 
4) - Washed Sand. 
You don't need this if you use cactus mix. But if you use regular potting soil, mix equal parts of soil and sand to make your own cactus mix. 
4) - Washed Gravel
Add gravel in the bottom of your planter. Succulents can get root rot and die very easily if they are overwatered or sit in too much water, so allow for plenty of drainage. 

So pretty simple...
- add gravel to bottom of planter
-add a few inches of cactus mix/soil until it's just below the rim of your planter
-arrange succulents 
-add in some more soil to make sure you succulents are secure and covered
- you can also add some stones or branches to your planter for a little personality and interest

I'm definitely no expert on gardening or plants, but with a little trial and error I've managed to 
become a caretaker of my plants instead of a killer. 
My number one tip is DON'T OVERWATER! 
Especially with succulents. Only water when the soil is dry. 
That means water about every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks usually. Sometimes they can go even longer. 
I have a jade plant, well I had a jade plant (my husband left it in the car when he moved our stuff back from Iowa in December and it froze) but up until then I had had it for almost 3 years and it was still alive and well :) I only watered it maybe once a month and it did great. 

Good luck and get planting! 


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT! I am so jealous! I haven't been able to find any good succulents here (at least not at the places I've looked). Your planter turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete