Monday, September 16, 2013

Butterfly DIY



My friend Kayley Goeringer, from A Blissful Abode, is here today to share a fun DIY using the ever growing trend of bugs, beetles, and butterflies as artwork. I'm loving this trend and Kayley's DIY can be done using some simple things you probably already have around your home! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I was absolutely flattered to be asked to write a guest post for Carpe Diem Interior Design! 
I love this blog and it is such a fun opportunity to be a contributor to it. 
With fresh ideas and regular original content, it is one of the most fun blogs that I read. 
Thanks Lexie!

Is it just me, or isn’t there just something magical about butterflies? They have beautiful colors and flutter so effortlessly outside. I love bringing outdoor elements such as these inside to help inspire me to be free and unique, like a butterfly. Here are some ways that butterflies have been beautifully incorporated into design.



 {via}




{via}



{via}



Today I am going to share one of my favorite DIY projects to date. It is quick, easy, entertaining, and inexpensive. I used it in my daughter Mila’s nursery, but it would be just as darling in a home office or living area as well as a girl’s room.



{via}



You will need:

* a butterfly punch, such as this one
* a frame with a slightly raised matte, I used a frame similar to this one from Walmart
* glue dots
* 1 piece of cardstock
* magazines

Start by sorting through old magazines and find any pictures that compliment the colors that you are using in the space. For me, I took a swatch of the fabric from Mila’s crib bedding and used that.

Next, punch out a butterfly in the desired area of each of the pictures.

Then, gently bend the butterfly wings back and simply mount the cutouts onto your cardstock using the glue dots. The bending creates a 3D effect. I mounted mine in straight lines but you can do it however you would like!

Finally, frame the cardstock, and viola! You have a completely custom, unique piece of art that perfectly accents any colors used in your home.

{For more on Mila’s nursery, visit my blog at ablissfulabode.blogspot.com}

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment