Thursday, March 14, 2013

What To Do If You're A Plant Killer

I highly recommend incorporating live plants and flowers in your home. They improve air quality, have been shown to have calming and stress reducing effects, and the right plants and containers really elevate the look of your home. 



I will ALWAYS try to talk someone into putting live plants in their home first because they make such a difference. But if you really aren't fond of the maintenance they require, I've put together some options for you plant killers. (Don't worry, I used to be a plant killer too) 

Some of my favorite alternatives are preserved mosses and boxwood, pressed leaves, and faux succulents. 
Let me just say that I HATE silk plants and flowers, but succulents are the one faux plant I think you can get away with because the real think has such a waxy texture to begin with. Terrariums are really popular right now, and you can create some fun ones with moss and faux succulents. 




 I have seen a pretty good looking faux orchid now and then, but I don't think I could ever succumb. :) 





If you are ready to take on the challenge of live plants and flowers, do your research!

Here is a good list of easy to care for plants.

Over watering is the biggest crime people commit. Sometimes it's better to water your plants when they "tell" you they need it rather than having a weekly watering schedule. Basically if you see your plants as children, you'll get the hang of it, even if you make a few mistakes at first ;) 

Also make sure to move your plants to bigger pots as they grow and use a fertilizer. Like I said before, do your research. When I buy a new plant, I always spend some time researching how to care for it. Don't just rely on the instructions they put on the tag, sometimes they aren't the best. 

If you have some extra money in your budget, there are always plant care services that can come to your home. This is on my wish list for one day down the road. 

One of my favorite options is fresh flowers. Some people see them as a waste of money, but it always makes my happy to see fresh flowers in my home. Costco, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods usually have a good selection. Trader Joe's is also my all time favorite place to buy orchids. A big orchid that you would normally spend $50 on at a specialty shop is only $15-20! 







No comments:

Post a Comment