Monday, December 7, 2009

10,000 Paperclips!






So for my Principles of Design class we were given the assignment to create an original lighting fixture with found objects. If you know me well then you won't be surprised that anthropologie was my inspiration for my light. They always have the most awesome art displays in their store made of found objects like rubber bands, light bulbs, paperclips, hangers, paper, etc. A while ago they had display that looked like icicles hanging from the ceiling, I can't remember what it was made of, but it was amazing! So that's where my inspiration came from. Let me tell you, it takes A LOT of paperclips to make a chandelier. I went to Office Depot and bought to boxes with 1,000 paper clips in each, thinking that would be enough, boy was I wrong. I ended up going back and buying 12 more boxes and used 8 of them! If I hadn't gone insane from chaining paperclips for 5 days I may have tried making more but I had had enough! Let's just say I watched a few Christmas movies those few days while chaining away! But if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty amazing and I even tied for Best Overall in my class! Here are some other lamps that were pretty awesome as well...

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I can tell the last one is coat hangers but what were the rest? And Happy Belated 20th :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one is made of flexible cutting boards, and paper mached(however you spell it) balloons covered with black paper flowers, the second one is a big piece of pvc pipe painted lime green w/ holes drilled in it and lights stuck through them, the next one is a candy machine with a water pitcher over a lightbulb inside it and candy glued all over it, and yep the last one is hangers.

    ReplyDelete